Bertram Field sits behind Collins Middle School (formerly the High School) on Powder House Lane in Salem. Work started June 22, 1935 on the field and it was completed for the football game Salem/Marblehead on Sept. 21, 1935. The field and the facilities were part of the WPA work done in the 1930’s.
The land for the field was given to the city in 1906 by Captain Bertram’s family.
Electric lights were installed in 1997 under the directorship of Park and Recreation’s Larry McIntire. He was able to secure a large monetary gift from Jack Welch, General Electric’s CEO and Salem High alumni.
Construction began in early July of 2013 to renovate Bertram Field to install an artificial turf field. The renovation also included expanding the running track and new scoreboard.